Thursday, October 29, 2009

Stephen's blogging station @ UKSW

Each day I blog, usually in the afternoon, around 3 or 4pm, for an hour or so, depending on what's happened and how many photos I've got to upload. As was established in my first week here, the computer in my room is rusak (broken) or FDPO. The screen was taken away and has not been returned.

So I use the machine next door, in the office shared by Duncan, Grace, Raema, and Irene. Better to use it late in the afternoon when they're not here, as the computer, like the office itself, is shared. This is my office away from the office.

Mornings, I was mainly using the computer in the front office, incredibly slow as it was. Last week, that computer was replaced with a machine that's even slower and with a keyboard whose keys are stuck and clunky. Impossible to type with speed. That, with the slow connection, means I can often spend 10 minutes trying to start up the machine, access Mozilla, and deal with one email. The computer in this office, though, is much quicker. So there's a good chance I'll deal with email from here.

Blogged from the Business Centre at Hotel Santika in Yogya. Charged by 15 minute blocks of time. Their connection was fast, but it took ages to upload photos. To put up 20 photos took nearly two hours, and exhausted the camera batteries. Good luck finding lithium batteries here.

1 comment: