Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Cooking

I haven't cooked anything since I left home! Usually, on the weekend, I cook. On Saturday morning Leonie and I go through the cookbooks and choose a week's worth of meals. Then off to the Famer's Market to source ingredients. Home for coffee, cook/prepare lunch, and then later in the afternoon get a salad happening. Here, there hasn't been an opportunity. At Dianita and Arief's, there's a cook onsite. One thing Dianita didn't enjoy about being in Australia was she had to cook and she is, she says, a bad cook! At Pak Agna's place, Ibu does all the cooking, with Priscilla helping out. Pak cannot cook.

Ibu's kitchen (dapur) is located away from the main dining area, spatially separated from communal areas, sort of behind the garage area in an annexe area. Only she and Priscilla use it. I've asked if I can watch Ibu prepare sambal; yet to happen, but I'm hopeful. Ibu's a great cook. Ibu shops locally for fresh tempe, which is wrapped in banana leaves, and tofu. Fruit, too, is sourced from local sellers. Had a Javanese green apple - its flesh white, softer than a mango, and sweeter. Delicious - enak sekali. Last night she prepared gado-gado - my plate was piled high, but I got through it all - sensational.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Stephen....Gado Gado, might make my western version again this Saturday. I cannot believe how much you blog! It's interesting and I have hardly enough time to read it all. What with schoolholidays and work and Dutch lessons and the stereomicroscope. Having Lulu over for a sleepover was fun. Today Willem joined his parents when they had to chair and attend a CSIRO National Soil Archive Committee meeting, and wafterwards I picked up his friend and the two of them did this cool workshop at the National Museum. A junk-sculptor talked them through a design and there were great materials available. Only 8 kids, working steadily for 2 and a half hours and coming out proud and happy.

    But, even if I do not comment much, I'm part of your reading audience. By the way, have you visited Killer Magpie on You Tube yet? That was Phil's, Dave's and Ruud's entertainment on the public holiday yesterday. It's had 300 hits already (all of CSIRO and all of ANU?). See also my Facebook for the 19 seconds of Delaney.

    ReplyDelete