Thursday, October 1, 2009

SELASA (Tuesday) 29 Sept @ UKSW

Got my office key and spent the first part of my day very much in the same way as George Costanza did when he got his office job. Not doing much.


Brought my dictionaries, planner, notebooks, business cards, and other office bits and pieces, set them out on the table. Looked around. Read the dictionary. Texted Pak Hendro to set up a meeting later on. Did some grammar exercises (how to use secara dan dengan in an adverbial way, for those of you interested). Made some notes. Re-read information for foreigners. Twiddled thumbs. A pretty aimless start to the day. Eased my way in.


Reflected on industrial design principles. If Australia ever runs out of retro furniture, there's plenty here to buy up, though most of it is in use.


Met with Pak Hendro, who got me a teaching timetable and said I could teach in any class I wanted. Also gave me information about the faculty and the student handbook, which has pictures of all faculty, which is fantastic because I spent most of yesterday forgetting people's names.

Discovered my computer is rusak, the bahasa term, frequently used, for broken. So Duncan let me use his machine. There is one computer per office; 1 computer for 4 people. The computer itself is housed in a wooden cabinet. The screen is under glass. Blogged a bit, sent a few emails.

Caught angkota by myself back home. Becoming accustomed to being called bule as I walk the couple of 100 metres home.

No comments:

Post a Comment