Sunday, October 4, 2009

JUMAT @ UKSW 2 Oktober

Various odd jobs, administrative matters to deal with, lessons to observe, next week's schedule to arrange, and so in.

Computer in my office finally fixed, hence the frenzy of entries on Friday afternoon.

Home by 5.15pm. Knackered. Upstairs to enter my iPod world, which consisted of songs by Orange Juice, Sun Kil Moon, Luomo, XTC, Nico, Nico Muhly (what are the chances of two artists named Nico being sequenced together?), Fabulous Diamonds (sleeve below - avert your eyes), and The Go-Betweens (Robert doing "Twin Layers of Lightning"). Dozed and drifted. Looked at the clock: 7.45pm! Raced downstairs. Food on the table, but no-one around. "Maaf, saya tidur" I apologised. They'd come up 3 times to get me, but I was asleep. Eventually, they ate without me. I ate, then, exhausted, went back to my room.


The state of exhaustion was due to the struggle of keeping on top of bahasa day in, day out. It's an enriching experience, this exhaustion, because I think it will increase the empathy I feel for international NESB students studying at ANU. At the end of the day, those students can't simply do as I did: drop down exhausted. They've got reading to do or part-time jobs to get to.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Bulai,
    Hang in there. Your thoughts will begin to come in Bahasa, the pillow will become soft and the mini vans large. Sarah and I have just returned from a real treat: first Mao's Dancer and second a meal at Sammy's made possible by Ruud and Ingrid (who have Amelie) and D&L (who have Lulu for her first ever sleep-over). Cold and drizzly here. Love your blogs so keep them up.
    Phil

    ReplyDelete