Friday, October 2, 2009

KAMIS (Thursday) 1 Oct

Pharmaceutical option resulted in a good night's sleep. Didn't hear the mesjid.

Fixed a hole in my pants, much to Ibu's amusement.

Today's jobs:
  • meet Nova and give her a copy of the passport so it can be passed onto the police.
  • observe some lessons.
  • meet Pak Amrih, ANU coordinator of the program I'm doing.
  • catch up on blogging.
Duncan was fine with me observing his interpersonal speaking class, which today was going to focus on how to pronounce vowels (Canada, Oklahoma, economy, etc.). Classroom is the size of Tallulah's bedroom, with 22 chairs in 2 rows, with space for the teacher to move a metre or so backwards. Today's class had 16 students. Introduced to class. Then did a bit of teaching, not much, because my Adelaide accent contradicted the principles of pronunciation being taught!

After the teaching, back to my office to get my daily journal uptodate. Today, Pak Amrih Widodo, who taught me in INDN 3A at ANU, was dropping by and we were going to have lunch, together with Frances Sinanu, who teaches at the UKSW Language Teaching Centre and also coordinates the Practical Assignment course I'm doing. At 2pm we headed off campus to a restoran recommended by France - a traditional Javanese place called Joblo Bu Rini. Once I'd explained that I was vegetarian, Amrih went through the menu and identified the best dishes. Food was sensational, the view stunningly lush and green, and the conversation switched between bahasa and English. Caught up on some ANU gossip, heard a bit about Amrih's education at the hands of the Jesuits, and talked briefly about the essay I've got to write. Fanastic to unwind here. Amrih was only here for a day, as he's conducting research into Indonoesian appropriations of hiphop music.


After lunch, office time and blogged myself senseless (as I'm doing now! Falling behind is a terrible thing). Outside the office, students are dancing hiphop style. Good thing I'm not working!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Stephen,

    enjoying your blog. As per usual am having technology problems so don't think my previous comment got up. But had to try again with the breaking news that Tippett has signed a new 3-year deal!!! Highlight of the week (for me, possibly second to your arriving & setting up a life in Indonesia)Take care, Sarah

    ReplyDelete