Sunday, October 4, 2009

SABTU/MINGGU 3-4 Oktober

Slept in, awake at 8am. A bit tender around the neck - not a good sign. Two hours reading Freud didn't resolve the problem. Jagging pain in my neck and right shoulder. Difficult to move. Doubled-over if I made the wrong step. Pak gave me directions to the massage therapist he uses. Difficult to talk and think in bahasa. Caught angkota to city centre, then a becak (tricycle) to the Reflexicology place, not before much discussion in the city about how to get there. At one stage 5 blokes were surrounding my becak, trying to figure out the map drawn by Pak Agna. Directions looked simple to me.


My driver was very old, spoke more Javanese than bahasa, but was keen to take me. We had to go up a slight incline, giving me a bit of colonial feeling, the bule being driven by an someone poised to take their pension, but I was in too much pain to care and the potholes reminded me that my situation was dire. Took in some of the street views.


Arrived, arranged for the driver to return in one hour. Explained my condition to the reflexologist, who nodded, and then took me inside. Despite me saying "Leher saya sakit sekali," the first phase of the massage concentrated on my feet, legs, and arms. After that, he got down to my neck and back. Pain eased a little. Said I would return. Driver outside. Of course, getting into the becak not easy because they are not made for tall bule. In fact, that's been the problem all week: in the angkota I have to crouch down, in my office I sit at a table and chair fine for Indonesians, not so fine for me.

Sunday I spent sitting, laying, reading, watching television. On repeat mode. Minimising movement. Applying deep heat.

1 comment: