Friday, October 2, 2009

Pleasure denied/deferred

Pleasure of anticipation denied. Thursday night, called home, expecting to talk to Leonie as we'd arranged in the morning, and there was Peter's voice at the end of the line! Disconcerted, obviously, and disappointed (sorry, Peter!) , initially, but then pleased to hear Peter's blokey humour. Unfortunately, I only packed Freud's Interpreting Dreams (known by its more common title The Interpretation of Dreams, but my edition is the new Penguin translation) instead of Jokes and their Relation to the Unconscious, which means I can't, at this time, riff on what Peter's sex, death and destruction witticism - "Did the earth move for you, too, in Java?" - says about the murk and the fears in his mind! And I'm sure Becky wouldn't want me to riff on that. Anyway, Leonie was at the pictures, Peter housesitting (can't use the term "babysitting" for my big girls).

Leonie had called earlier in the day, the connection was dodgy, and I thought she said call "tonight" but, as she clarified this morning when we spoke, she had said she would be out and that we'd call Friday night. No matter. Always wonderful to hear Leonie, Tallulah and Delaney, even if I have to wade through the crackle, distortion, echo, and delay. If that sound was on a CD, I'd buy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment