Friday, October 9, 2009

Reflexology - part 2

The left side of my neck is playing up. Knowing that I'm going to Semarang tomorrow, I thought I'd take some preventative action and have a massage. Prepared for it by practising punggung (back) and leher (neck), so that when I got there I could specify that I only wanted a back/neck massage, not the toes/feet total experience.

Not a problem. Would cost 20.000 rupiah for 30 minutes. When I'm in the cubicle, I'm asked by the bloke: "Anda ingin perempuan?" (Do you want a woman?"). My response: "Tidak peduli, tetapi hanya ingin pijat punggung dan leher" (I don't care, but I only want a neck and back massage). He goes away, then a woman comes in. Luckily, it doesn't get all Larry David! My back and neck were given a good going over. Not sure if it did any good in terms of my health, as my neck is still a bit iffy as I type (and typing only compounds the iffiness), but, as last week's massage reminded me (and that was with a bloke, so please don't get caught up in the heterosexual matrix), but it did me good in terms of being touched. Travelling alone means I can't hug others or be hugged by others. Javanese culture is not a touchy-feely culture in the same sense as our culture in Canberra.

Back home, each day, we hug at home, we hug before school, we hug at Chip Night, we hug while watching the footy, and so on. Every time we Watsonians meet socially, there's a hug involved. Warmth is exchanged. Can't wait to see you all again and have a group hug.

No comments:

Post a Comment