Monday, November 9, 2009

Solo Saturday 7 Nov

Last day in Salatiga. Amazing to have lasted so long, and to have gone so quickly. The last week sped by. Packed my stuff. Rechecked my cupboard. Took a photo of my fan (FDPO). At least it had a nice smile and, through its whirring, created the impression that it was functional.

Car arrived at 11am. Much to my surprise, Ibu Wewien and Priscilla were going to accompany me to Solo, as Pak Agna was there. Amazingly, on the way out of Salatiga, a cloudless day, so I had my first real views of Gunung Merbabu, Telomoyo, Gajah Mungkur and, incredibly, Merapi. If Merapi erupts, the road from Salatiga to Solo would be a great place to watch, as Merapi erupts away from this area. Also noted that moshallas tend to have 2 speakers, whereas mosques tend to have 4, based on a random survey I was doing as we made our way to Solo.

Arrived at lunch. Given a traditional Javanese farewell, which involves shaking hands and putting the side of your face against the side of the other person's face. Next, hotel boredom. Worked on my buku harian (daily diary). Read two magazines that will be left here: Linda's Scientific American (food security, DNA, computer piracy) and the Jakarta version of Time Out - in English - what a rip off! But it did list the addresses of Jakarta's trendy bookstores and art galleries. Watched under 19 Asia Football Cup: Indonesia (0) versus Singapore (1). Ismail and family meet me for dinner. Head to a local restaurant, navigate the issue of my vegetarianism and settle down to eat. Ismail's youngest, Aya Sofya (3), was asleep for the duration, held by Fajar.

The view from my room.

In bed late-ish. Right ear has a slight throbbing. No iPod tonight. Will buy earbuds.

No comments:

Post a Comment