Monday, November 2, 2009

Senin @ UKSW 2 Nov

Phew, November already! This is the third month I've spent here, having arrived at the tail end of finals mad September, my plan to, through my absence, somehow wish the Crows into the grand final a complete failure (if I'd been successful, we'd most likely have lost to Geelong - take some consolation from that Phil and Annie), and now, with October done and dusted, I'm cruising.

Sad to report, my body clock is nearly in tune with suara mesjid. For the last week, 5.30am is becoming my regular wakeup time. Which is 8.30am Oz-time, so maybe I'm in the process of preparing for when I return home. A lousy way to prepare, but. This morning, though, I used the time productively and marked student work. One of the courses I'm teaching has as an assessment requirement that the students write a report each week. Each week, 40 or more pages to comment on.

My last Kebaktian Senin (Monday Service), hosted by the Faculty of Performing Arts. Had high expectations for this one, as I often hear then rehearsing next door. Word had got around, because it was a big crowd. Expectations met, music-wise, with the first tune "On This Day Earth Shall Ring," performed by the Handbells Fakulatas Seni Pertunjukan, a handbells ensemble, 13 members dressed in black, 11 of whom played handbells of varying sizes. Brilliant vibraphone vibe, worthy of the minimalism one would associate with Steve Reich. Towards the end, churchbell sounds, a return to the insistent repetition and nimble slight changes, building to a crescendo when they all began to ring their bells wildly. A lovely cacophony, then an abrupt end. Magic. Deservedly applauded.

Thereafter, the music never reached the same heights. One of the strengths of the faculty, its artistic talent, became its weakness. 30 in one chorus. 2 main vocalists, supported by 15 backup singers. At least 20 musicians on stage. Great harmonies overwhelmed by excessive drumming and, dare I say it, saxophone solos of the kind that were outlawed at some point in the '80s. The 2 vocalists were great, if I were to focus on technique, but the exhortions for the audience (parishioners) to clap hands and sway to the music were a bit excessive. Toothy, wholesome, happy, giddy, uninhibited and unselfconscious (if students enrolled in the performing arts can be said to be unselfconscious) joy in the Lord, complete with another sax solo. Overwrought and overcooked with talent.

Moments for prayer were never silent, as the pianist trilled and the percussionist indulged himself on the cymbals. Then a guitar solo that reminded me of Dire Straits. A relief to have the sermon and reading because the musicians downed instruments. All other prayers soundtracked by noodling. The final song began promisingly enough, beautiful male and female harmonies, getting into sunshine pop territory, the singers swaying, grooving, looking like coolest Christians on the block, only to be overpowered and overwhelmed by the drums and other unfortunate rockist tropes tendencies. Less is more. Maximalism, though, had its way. Anyway, I've a newfound respect for handbell ensembles, for which I'm amazed and grateful.

Later in the day I gave a seminar on how to write a thesis to staff and students. Filmed. For posterity.

Another presentation is scheduled for Wednesday. Must choose a baju batik.

No comments:

Post a Comment