Friday, September 25, 2009

Indonesia starts today, without the Crows

When I started organising the tickets to Indonesia, I originally planned to leave after the Grand Final, as, under the old regime, it would simply be unAustralian to miss the big day and, of course, maybe miss the Crows. Not that at the time of the original planning the Crows looked as they'd play a meaningful role in September. But following your team is always an act of faith and I was optimistic that we'd be there. Then a cheaper ticket presented itself, but it involved leaving on the Friday. So I thought that it'd be a good omen for me to be out of the country when the Crows beat whoever they were destined to play. It was a sacrifice I was willing to make. For the team. But, obviously, word about my sacrifice got out and Neil Craig and the Crows thought my doing the "sacrifice watching the grand final in the slim hope that it will magically force the Crows to be in the grand final" thing was too big a burden for them to carry. Hence that inexplicable third quarter.

Off to Sydney today. Before that: Coffee with Linda this morning, watch Delaney have her guitar lesson, and then to the airport with my beautiful girls. Tallulah has discovered New Order and loves them. She is under instruction during my absence to raid the CD cabinet and grab stuff at random and give them a listen. Who knows what type of taste she'll develop when I'm gone. Plane heads off at 11.50 or thereabouts. For the plane I've got some quality pulp to read - George Pelecanos - and the usual bit of excess reading (music mags, Freud, and two dictionaries). Pockets are filled with iPod, phone, passport, phrasebook, notebook and other bits and pieces.

It's going to be a great day - Leonie's just turned up the stereo and the house pumps with NO's "Regret". Other sounds: dishes being done, Delaney getting ready for school, and Kucing demanding some food.

Next entry will be from Indonesia.

Salam hangat,
Stephen



No comments:

Post a Comment